Well I don’t usually buy something as expensive as snow crab legs for dinner but our local grocery store had an amazing sale on snow crab legs, I just couldn’t resist. If you don’t have a great sale going on and want to try this recipe, you can substitute canned or fresh lump crab meat or a poached fish instead.
If you are substituting with a fillet of fish, just pour a little sauce on top at the end and serve it with potatoes or another side dish instead of setting it on top of pasta. Also, it is best to cook the sauce at the last minute. I was experimenting with the sauce this afternoon and set it into the refrigerator. When I went to reheat it, it was too thick and I had a little bit of a hard time getting it back to it’s original form. Since the sauce takes less than 10 minutes to cook, it’s worth not cooking in advance.
Here is the recipe for Snow Crab with Penne.
Snow Crab with Penne
2 pounds frozen snow crab claws
1 tablespoon capers – minced
1 teaspoon prepared mustard powder
2 tablespoon white wine
½ cup fat free half and half
1 ½ cups skim milk
¼ cup flour
½ teaspoon tarragon
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 pound penne pasta
1. Heat water on high heat in a large pot until boiling and add snow crab legs. Cook until water comes to a boil again. Remove crab legs and from shells and break up meat into small pieces. Set crab meat in a large mixing bowl, cover and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine minced capers, mustard and wine. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan, mix together half and half, flour, tarragon, salt and pepper. Add wine/caper mixture and turn heat on low.
4. Heat sauce mixture, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to steam. Increase heat to medium low, continue whisking, until mixture is bubbly and thickened (about 5 minutes).
5. Remove sauce from heat and pour on top of crab. Gently fold sauce into crab meat, being careful not to break up the crab meat too much.
6. Boil a pot of water and cook penne according to directions on box. Drain, rinse and set into a serving platter.
7. Spoon crab sauce on top of pasta and serve.