Tonight we had grilled pork loin with a pickled wine sauce. I never made a sauce like this before and was curious to try something different(by the way, it took 3 tries before I got a sauce that I really liked). After eating this dish, I have decided that it would go really well with grilled steak as well so the recipe below includes beef. You can try it either way. If you do grill the beef, please let me know what you thought.
I try not to cook with beef often because it can have a higher fat content than other types of meat (i.e. pork loin or chicken) but if I do use it, I will use sirloin or London broil. Both of these red meats have less fat in them than other cuts of beef.
Try it out & happy cooking!!
Grilled Sirloin with Pickled Wine Sauce
2 onions – chopped
2 tablespoons flour
½ cup white wine
1 ½ cups beef broth
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ cup bread and butter pickles – chopped
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 – 6 ounce sirloin steaks (or a 1 ½ – 2 pound pork loin)
Salt and pepper to season steaks
1. Heat a saucepot on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add chopped onion and sauté until softened and browned. Remove onions from saucepot and set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix together wine, beef broth and thyme. Add wine mixture to saucepot and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, add back onions and allow sauce to simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
3. Add pickles and Dijon mustard and remove saucepot from heat to cool slightly. Pour sauce into a food processor and puree. Return sauce to the saucepot and heat on low until ready to use.
4. Heat an indoor grill pan on medium high. Season steaks with salt and pepper and grill for about 5 minutes on each side or until cooked to medium rare.
5. Pour a little of the heated sauce on the bottom of a serving platter, place steaks on top then pour the remaining sauce on top.
NOTE: If cooking pork loin, grill for about 15 minutes on each side and cook to medium.