I love stuffed cabbage but rolling the meat in the cabbage leaves is too time consuming for a weeknight family dinner; so instead, I reworked the recipe so that it’s easy, fast and of course, deliciously light. It does bake 3 hours in the oven but you can also make this in a crock pot instead – cooking it on high for 3 – 3 ½ hours so you can do whatever while it slow simmers.
If you like stuffed cabbage I think you’ll like this just as much. Enjoy and Happy Cooking!
Meat and Cabbage Casserole
Preheat oven 350o
2 small onions – chopped
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
¾ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic – minced
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ pound ground turkey breast meat
½ pound 93% lean ground beef
½ cup light sour cream
1 small head cabbage
- Prepare the sauce: Heat a large saucepan and spray with cooking spray. Add half of the onion and sauté on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until soft and browned. Add brown sugar and vinegar and sauté until sugar is dissolved. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and simmer sauce.
- While sauce is simmering, cook the meat: Heat a large sauté pan, spray with cooking spray and add the remaining onions. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until soft and browned. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add ground turkey and beef and sauté for about 10 minutes or until fully cooked. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Cut cabbage in half and separate leaves, cutting the base of the cabbage and discarding.
- To assemble: Pour 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of a large Dutch oven. Layer half of the cabbage leaves on top of the sauce, then add the turkey and beef mixture. Add 1/3 more sauce on top of meat mixture then top with cabbage leaves and finish with remaining sauce.
- Bake at 350o for 1 hour then reduce oven to 325o and bake an additional 2 hours.