I wasn’t sure what I was going to make for dinner tonight until about 3:30 when it hit me that dinner isn’t too far off. I had some chicken breasts in the freezer, plenty of pasta in the pantry and chicken broth that I always keep on hand. With that, I decided to throw it all together and came up with this recipe.
Enjoy and happy cooking!
Chicken and Broccoli with Pasta
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1 pound skinless/boneless chicken breasts – cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cup broccoli flowerets
2 cloves garlic – minced
¼ cup white wine
1 cup fat free chicken broth – separated
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon basil
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon chervil
1/3 cup fat free half and half
2/3 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon flour
¼ cup parmesan cheese
½ box penne pasta
- Cook penne as per the package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet on medium high heat, spray with cooking spray and add chicken. Sauté chicken pieces until browned.
- Add broccoli flowerets and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add wine, ½ cup of chicken broth, marjoram, basil, red pepper flakes and chervil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Remove chicken mixture from the skillet and place into a bowl, cover to keep warm.
- To cook the sauce: in a small bowl combine half and half, skim milk, ½ cup chicken broth and flour and whisk until combined. Add to skillet and heat on medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Drain penne and add to skillet with sauce. Stir in parmesan cheese then add chicken mixture and fold into sauce and penne.
- Spoon into serving platter and serve.
I had to buy a cookbook from Tennessee and found one with some really amazing recipes. Tonight’s dinner is inspired from a recipe in the cookbook, but of course, has been modified to be “Delicious & Light”.
I have an important note on this recipe. When you ignite the whiskey in the pan, keep the kids away! I cannot stress enough how dangerous this step can be. I was in the process of lighting a long fireplace match and was going to slowly bring it close to the whiskey to ignite but as soon as I flicked the lighter (too close to the skillet) the whiskey ignited (more like exploded). It would be better to use a long BBQ lighter instead and I plan on investing in one right away.
The great thing is that the dish came out delicious and I did not get injured or lose my eyebrows so overall, dinner was a big success.
Enjoy and careful igniting…
Turkey Breast with Whiskey Sauce
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
2 pounds skinless turkey breast roast
Salt and pepper
½ cup whiskey
3 shallots – chopped
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
¼ teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon parsley
¼ cup water
¼ cup fat free half and half
¾ cup skim milk
1 tablespoon flour
- Heat large skillet on high heat and spray with cooking spray. Season turkey breast with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Brown on both sides.
- Add whiskey and carefully ignite, shaking skillet until the flames go out.
- Lower heat to medium, add brown sugar and shallots and cook for about 2 minutes until softened.
- Lower heat to medium low and add thyme, parsley and water. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Transfer turkey to a platter and cover to keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine half and half, milk and flour and add to skillet. Cook until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Slice turkey breast and pour sauce on top and serve.
Calories = 310 Fat = 1.5 grams