Tonight I made a simple dish with chicken breasts, escarole and pasta. Since Dean is way on business, I took advantage of the situation and made something with pasta (because Dean is reducing his carb intake).
Escarole is a wonderfully flavorful vegetable that can be used in stews, soups or just sautéed. Until I met Dean, I didn’t know what it was and tried it for the first time during a Christmas Eve dinner at his parent’s house when we were engaged. His grandmother would prepare it with anchovies, olives and walnuts and would slow cook it over the stovetop in a Dutch oven. I had no idea it had anchovies in it and just thought it was fantastic. Later, when I found out what was in it, I was surprised and delighted. Since then, I use escarole as often as I can.
If you have not yet had the pleasure of tasting escarole, try it; hopefully, you will be as delighted as I was. If however, you know this is not a vegetable for you, you can substitute spinach in this dish for the escarole (just make sure you add it at the very end so that the spinach is not overcooked).
Enjoy and happy experimenting!
Chicken with Pasta and Escarole
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 pound boneless/skinless chicken breasts – cut into 2 inch pieces
1 clove garlic – minced
1 head escarole
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup fat free chicken broth
½ pound (usually ½ box) pasta
¼ cup pasta water
¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat, season chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Sauté until chicken is browned. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Cut escarole into pieces and add to chicken, reduce heat to medium low and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth with salt, pepper and basil, cover and cook for about 10 minutes (or until escarole is tender).
- While chicken and escarole is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta for about 5 – 7 minutes until slightly firm but no longer hard.
- Remove pasta from water, reserving ¼ cup of the water. Add pasta water and pasta to the chicken mixture and allow to cook for an additional 2 minutes (broth will become slightly thickened).
- Remove skillet from heat, stir in parmesan cheese then spoon into a serving bowl.
Estimated Values per serving:
Calories = 300 Fat = 3 grams