O.k., you know you have made something really good when your family has eaten it before you can even finish cooking it. I experimented with a cupcake recipe on Friday night, ran out of time, and decided that I would just frost them on Saturday. As of Friday night, there were 12 cupcakes; on Saturday, I only had 4 to frost. I made the frosting anyway because I had to find out if the entire recipe would work. After dinner last night, the final 4 were gone in about 30 seconds. So I would say that if you have a reason to bake, these cupcakes are worth making.
Vanilla Cupcakes with Fluffy White Frosting
Preheat oven 350 0
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Estimated values per serving(including frosting):
Calories = 185 Fat = 1.5 grams
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup egg substitute
1 cup sugar
½ cup skim milk
2 tablespoons butter spread
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 paper cupcake holders
- In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together egg, egg substitute and sugar on high speed for 4 minutes or until mixture has tripled in size.
- Lower speed and add flour and mix until combined.
- Heat milk and butter spread in a small pot on the stovetop until the butter spread has melted. Remove from heat, add vanilla extract.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture in mixing bowl on medium speed and mix until well combined.
- Place a paper cupcake holder in each 12-cup muffin pan and spray with cooking spray. Pour batter into each cup and bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool before frosting (recipe below).
Fluffy White frosting:
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
¼ teaspoon cream of tarter
2 egg whites – at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
Rainbow sprinkles (optional)
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, water and cream of tarter. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and sugar has dissolved.
- In a mixer, combine egg whites and vanilla. Beat on high speed.
- Very slowly add sugar mixture to egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed for about 7 minutes until stiff peaks form (tips stand up).
- Frost the cooled cupcakes and add sprinkles on top if desired.