Don’t let this BBQ summer weekend ruin your weight management goals. You can have your burger and it can be really delicious too. Here are two recipes that are inspired from a magazine article about the upcoming holiday weekend. I made a few changes so that you can enjoy a classic American meal without the guilt.
Happy holiday weekend BBQing!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 – 20 minutes
Estimated values per serving (without bun):
Calories = 180 Fat = 8 grams
4 slices turkey bacon – chopped
½ small onion – chopped
4 cloves garlic – minced
2 pounds 93% lean ground beef
1 pound ground turkey breast meat
¼ cup barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons paprika
Pepper to taste
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat, spray with cooking spray and add chopped bacon. Sauté bacon until crispy and add onion. Cook another 3 – 5 minutes until onions are browned. Add garlic and cook 1 additional minute. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, ground turkey, barbecue sauce, paprika and pepper. Add cooled bacon mixture and mix with your hands.
- Form meat mixture into 8 6-ounce burgers.
- Preheat grill and cook burgers from 7 – 10 minutes on each side until cooked through (must be cooked to medium temperature (165o) because of the turkey meat).
- Serve with burger buns if desired.
Caramelized Onion Relish
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Estimated values per serving:
Calories = 48 Fat = 0
3 large sweet Vidalia onions – chopped
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar (cider or white)
2 tablespoons water
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat, spray with cooking spray and add onion. Ssauté onions until very tender, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. (NOTE: after 10 minutes, you want to cover the onions so that they do not stick to the pan).
- Stir in sugar, vinegar, water, salt, pepper and celery seed. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until liquid has almost completely been absorbed, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool.
- Serve with burgers.