Someone brought broccoli salad to my friend’s birthday party Friday night and I really enjoyed it. So I thought about how I could duplicate the flavors but cut down on some of the fat and calories. I also like my broccoli a little softer than raw broccoli and came up with the idea of marinating it for a few minutes. I served this broccoli salad with dinner tonight and it was well received.
Enjoy your veggies!
Pre p Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 – 10 minutes
Refrigeration time: at least 1 hour
Estimates Values per serving:
Calories = 80 Fat = 3 grams
2 cups water
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar – separated
1 large head of broccoli
4 slices turkey bacon – chopped
½ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon white vinegar
¼ cup raisins – chopped
½ small red onion – chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut tops of broccoli and discard stems. Place broccoli florets in a large bowl.
- Bring water to a boil and stir in ¼ cup sugar until dissolved. Pour sugar water over broccoli and let sit for 15 minutes.
- While broccoli is marinating, cook bacon until crispy. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon sugar, vinegar, raisins and red onion. Add bacon when cooled.
- Drain water from broccoli and add to mayonnaise mixture and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and serve cold.