My family liked the meat pie from last week so much, they asked it to be re-created it with Italian flavors.
Make Ahead Tip:
– Cook meat with tomatoes then refrigerate until ready to assemble and bake.
Italian Meat Pie
Preheat oven 425o
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 350 Fat: 8 grams Points: 7
½ pound ground turkey breast meat
½ pound 93% lean ground beef
1 clove garlic – minced
2 cups crushed tomatoes
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 package refrigerated pizza dough
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ cup low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add turkey and beef and season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 – 7 minutes, stirring, until meat is browned and cooked through. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, basil and onion powder and sauté for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature or refrigerate overnight if baking the following day.
- Spray a large baking pan with cooking spray. Roll out pizza dough and stretch onto a large baking pan.
- Mix parmesan and mozzarella cheese with meat then place in the center of the dough, leaving enough room to fold dough over the meat.
- Fold corners of dough into the center of the pie first then bring sides up toward the center so the meat is completely covered.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until the dough is browned.