Tips on Making Ahead:
- Cook eggplant and meat and arrange in casserole. Refrigerate until 45 minutes before serving, cook sauce and pour on top then bake.
- Cook entire recipe, refrigerate then reheat in oven and serve.
- Cook entire recipe, refrigerate, cut into individual serving sizes and heat in microwave.
Eggplant and Meat Casserole
Preheat oven 375o
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 250 Fat: 5 grams Points: 4
2 eggplants – sliced ¼ inch thick
½ onion – chopped
½ pound ground turkey breast meat
½ pound ground 93% lean beef
2 cloves garlic
1 cup white wine
1 cup crushed tomatoes from a can
1 tablespoon fresh basil – chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley – chopped
Salt and pepper
¼ cup Italian bread crumbs
- Arrange paper towels on a board and sprinkle with salt. Spread eggplant slices on paper towels and sprinkle salt on top then top with paper towels. This can be done in layers to conserve counter space. Allow eggplant to “sweat” for about 20 minutes then rinse well under water and discard paper towels.
- While the eggplant is “sweating”, heat a large skillet on medium heat, spray with cooking spray and add onion. Sauté 2 – 3 minutes until slightly softened and browned. Increase heat to medium high and add turkey and beef and sauté until browned. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Lower heat to medium low and add wine, tomatoes, basil, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on low until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- After rinsing the eggplant, heat a large skillet on medium high heat, spray with cooking spray and add eggplants. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side until softened.
- Spray a 9 X 12 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange half of the cooked eggplant on the bottom. Spoon meat on top, then spread the bread crumbs. Top with the remaining eggplant.
- Cook sauce (recipe below) and pour on top.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until top is bubbling and slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
1 ½ cups skim milk
½ cup fat free half and half
2 tablespoons flour
¼ cup egg substitute
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, whisk together milk, half and half, flour, egg substitute and nutmeg.
- Heat stovetop on medium heat and, while stirring constantly, cook mixture until bubbly and thickened. Reduce heat to low and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese.