Sausage and Seafood Paella
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 285 Fat: 5 grams Points: 6
1 – 12 ounce package of hot or mild chicken sausage
1 cup onion – chopped
½ cup celery – chopped
2 cloves garlic – minced
1 teaspoon saffron threads
2 cups reduced fat chicken broth
1 cup long grain rice
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen peas – defrosted
1 pound shrimp – shelled, deveined and cut into bite sized pieces
1 pound small sea scallops
- Remove outer casing from chicken sausages and coarsely chop.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add chicken sausage and sauté for 3 – 5 minutes until browned.
- Remove sausage from skillet and set aside. Spray same skillet with cooking spray again and add onion and celery. Sauté for 3 – 5 minutes until browned. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Combine saffron threads in the chicken broth and stir until saffron dissolves then add to skillet with rice. Set stovetop heat to low and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes, until liquid has dissolved. Add diced tomatoes, peas, shrimp and sea scallops. Cook for 3 – 5 minutes until fish is cooked.
- Add rice and sausage to skillet, heat and then serve.