It’s been too long since I have blogged a recipe and I am so sorry for that. Hopefully, we wil be getting back to our routine and delicious new recipes will soon be on the way. In the meantime, I made this last weekend and is worthy of a posting. Enjoy!
Black Bean and Bacon Soup
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 165 Fat: 2 grams
1 bag (16 ounces) dried black beans
6 cups water
8 slices of turkey bacon
½ cup celery – chopped
1 cup onion – chopped
2 cloves garlic – minced
½ cup carrots – chopped
4 cups ham broth*
2 – 3 cups water
2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
*You may substitute chicken broth for ham broth.
Pepper to taste
- Rinse beans, place in a large bowl and soak overnight. As a quick method, you can boil the water and pour over the beans and let sit for about 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans and set aside.
- Coat a large pot with cooking spray and heat on medium high. Fry the bacon for 5 – 7 minutes until crispy. Remove bacon and cool.
- While bacon is cooling, add celery and onion and sauté for about 5 minutes until soft and slightly browned. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Chop cooled bacon. Add carrots, chopped bacon, broth, 2 cups water, beans, cilantro, bay leaf and liquid smoke. Simmer for about 1 hour.
- Taste soup and add pepper or more water if it has become to thick.
- Serve hot with a little grated cheese or sour cream.