I know it has been too long since I have posted a new fun recipe to try. The summer season has left me no time to enjoy experimenting with tasty low fat recipes. I am hopefully getting back into the groove and have an easy – 5 minute – recipe that you can put together for a BBQ you may be going to.
The other day I was going to a friend’s house and had no time to make anything so I bought:
1 Angel food cake
1 quart fresh strawberries
1 container of strawberry gel glaze
1. Rinse and slice the strawberries
2. Remove the cake from it’s container and pour strawberry glaze on top.
3. Decorate with sliced strawberries and refrigerate.
You are done – instant dessert that is sweet, delicious and fat free.
I had 2 bananas today that were not going to make it unless I did something with them. I always feel guilty if I let food go bad so this morning I was determined to do something with these ripe bananas and came up with this:
Banana Cake with Maple Glaze
Preheat oven 350o
2 cups flour
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
2 bananas – mashed
½ cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
½ cup low calorie mayonnaise
½ cup egg substitute
¼ cup skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda ingredients. With electric beater on high speed, beat in bananas, yogurt, mayonnaise, egg substitute, milk, vanilla and cinnamon until well combined.
- Pour batter into a 9-inch spring form pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool to room temperature.
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup brown sugar
2 cups confectioner’s sugar – sifted
1 -2 teaspoons skim milk
1 tablespoon reduced calorie butter spread
- Place confectioner’s sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Combine maple syrup and brown sugar in a small saucepan and heat until bubbling.
- Remove maple syrup mixture from heat and pour into confectioner’s sugar while beating at low speed. Add enough milk until mixture becomes a thick glaze. Add butter spread and mix well.
- Pour glaze on top of cooled cake and spread on sides so that the top and sides are covered.